1) Don't look at other people's work.
2) Don't listen to what other people have to say, good or bad.
3) Only rely on the critiques of the few people you trust.
4) Try switching styles, experiment.
5) Sometimes you will suck and that's okay.
6) Never stop learning about yourself. Self awareness leads to a clearer sense of self + art.
7) Don't rush.
8) Show your work. Don't wait til it's perfect.
9) Nothing is original. Everything is a remix.
10) Don't just show the product. Show the process.
11) Bring your body into your work. Ideas don't just come from the brain.
12) Mess around. Go out and do try new things.
13) Get a day job and keep it. You'll get the same amount of work done anyway. (Parkinson's Law)
14) It's not just how good you are, it's also how likable you are.
15) Give more questions than answers.
17) Let your subjects guide you.
18) Art doesn't have to be serious. Don't be afraid to be humorous.
19) You are what you choose to let into your life.
20) What comes from the heart goes to the heart.
(This is a transcription of art notes from a piece of paper I kept on my bedroom wall when I was a living in NYC)
by Jason Lam